Re: Fingertight Malcolm

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fingertight Malcolm
From: REwald9535@aol.com
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 22:15:16 EDT
In a message dated 10/21/99 10:49:16 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
rock@rocky-frisco.com writes:

> We have an anthropomorphic personification on the Mini-list, called
>  "Finger-Tight Malcolm;" we even have FTM awards on a web page, devoted
>  to really horrible boners by mechanics who should have known better, but
>  perhaps went to lunch and came back and forgot they hadn't torqued down
>  the mains, etc. etc..  ;)

Well, I might as well owe up to my own FTM move on an LBC.  It was many years
ago (28 to be exact).  My buddy and I had pulled the head off my B for some
reason which slips my mind.  It was winter here in LA late and dark, we were
working with drop lights.  I had put everything back together except for the
spark plugs.  Almost everything that is.  I went to crank the engine over to
build oil pressure before putting the plugs in and firing it up.  My buddy
was standing by the front of the car while I was leaning in and working the
key.  I cranked for a few seconds and let up on the key.  My buddy hollered
that I hadn't tightened the fuel line into the carbs, I yelled back that I'd
tighten it in a moment.  I turned the key to crank again forgetting that the
ignition system was live and the plug wires were laying near where the fuel
was leaking.  All of a sudden there was a large WHOOMP! and the entire front
of the car got a very bright orange.  I had a fire extinguisher behind the
seat.  I killed the key and grabbed the fire bottle.  The fire was out in a
moment, and then I saw it, the cowl of my nice white B was BLACK.  DOH! I'm
going to have pay to have it repainted.  I touched the black and found out it
was just soot.  whew!
Needless to say this is the last time I ever let a fuel leak go on any car no
matter how harmless it seems.
Rick Ewald