Re: Idle speed and timing

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Idle speed and timing
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 08:40:26 -0700
Well, mine will idle at 600 on a good day <g>. I have it set at about 700
now. But I agree, whenever I mess with the carbs at all it takes hours of
fiddling to get the idle speed back down. There seems to be a complex
interplay between the carb setup and the timing. When I get to this
point, I usually have to refer to the tune-up directions I downloaded
from the web (I think it may have been the Scions of Lucas site). But if
you can get it to idel smoothly under 1000 you should be OK; 1500 is just
a bit much for smooth clutch takeup, and bad for MPG and noise, as well.

This is a stock non-smog engine of indeterminate internal configuration,
with somewhat worn HS-4s (1966).

Andrew B. Lundgren had this to say:

--

Max Heim