Re: Idle speed and timing

To: Thames800@aol.com
Subject: Re: Idle speed and timing
From: Susan and John Roper <vscjohn@huntnet.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 11:12:36 -0500
I think that 3/4 race is an antiquated term, dating back to the flat motors.
Duration as you quote it is primarily a sales device.  Of more importance is
duration at .050, which is where you would check it.  There are many aspects of
cam design that effect how your engine responds.  Most cams of substantial
duration need increased compression to function as intended.  Lope at idle is
effected by lobe center.  The same duration and lift may be cut with different
lobe centers.  On my TR8, a lobe center of 110 degrees will probably idle fairly
smoothly, whereas the same cam cut with a lobe center of 106 will be quite rough
at idle.  John