nervous at highway speed

To: MG list <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: nervous at highway speed
From: Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 21:50:01 -0500
Check the toe-in. This is a common reason for "hunting" if the toe is
equal or toe- out. Check the specs for your car, but my '74-1/2 & '77
wre 1/16-1/8" toe in, as I recall.  Some bricks & a couple of 2x4's or
pieces of angle & a tape measure will get you close. Most front end
shops will set the toe for $10-25.00, but they may not know the spec, so
look it up before/if you go.

None of my cars wander at speeds up to & well over 100 mph, but tire
balance & toe settings are critical, as well as tightening all the
suspension nuts & bolts as has been mentioned. Except for the 1968
Bronco that follows every rut or bump- but that has a worm & sector
steering box that is a real automotive horror story. Really makes you
appreciate the LBC set up.

Jim Stuart