High RPMs bad?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: High RPMs bad?
From: Florrie & Allen Bachelder <bachldrs@swva.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 23:36:23 -0400
My '76 B daily-driver has o/d as does my temporarily-out-of-service '73 GT,
but the car that does all the really long trips is my '73 without o/d.  I
have an o/d box for it, and one of these years it will go in.  My
experience is that o/d makes no measurable difference in gas mileage - and
so far I haven't noticed any differences in engine wear.  O/D does make a
HUGE difference in driver fatigue.  Like Tab, I can't stand the endless
hours of high revving.  About 3300 is the limit of my tolerance - maybe
3500 for a few hours.  The result is that I just barely drive the '73 fast
enough to keep from getting rear-ended on the interstates (which I drive
only when a suitable "blue highway" can't be found) - about 60-65 mph.  I
get 30-34 mpg and never a speeding ticket!  In the '76 I easily cruise with
interstate traffic at  70-75 mph and when the flow goes faster than that
I've caught myself unknowingly drifting up close to 80.  Because I'm
driving faster, my gas mileage is not AS good: 26-30 mpg.  I do love the
o/d but only for my own comfort.  I know of no reason to swap a good
Laycock o/d tranny for a 5-speed.  The Laycock is very reliable - the only
problem I've ever had was due to worn 'O' rings on the solonoid - about a
$2 very-easy repair.

Allen

>Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 13:56:05 -0500
>To: mgs@autox.team.net
>From: Tab Julius <tab@penworks.com>
>Subject: High RPMs bad?
>
>I've been watching the OD discussions, plus the comment from Gerardo of
>being tired of cruising at 5000 rpm (me too).  Actually, anything over 3000
>RPMs I know I'm burning up the gas, but I just can't feel that higher RPMs
>are very good for the engine; like the optimal is 2500 to 3000. Of course,
>going red is definitely not good, but what about 4000 to 5000?  It won't
>blow the engine, but surely it's taking years off.  Or is it not?  On the
>back roads it's not a problem, but the 75 mph highways I feel like I'm
>doing my engine a disservice if I actually go that fast for an extended
>period of time.
>
>Wishin' it was a 5-speed...
>
>- Tab
>
>'78 B