High RPMs bad?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: High RPMs bad?
From: Tab Julius <tab@penworks.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 13:56:05 -0500
I've been watching the OD discussions, plus the comment from Gerardo of
being tired of cruising at 5000 rpm (me too).  Actually, anything over 3000
RPMs I know I'm burning up the gas, but I just can't feel that higher RPMs
are very good for the engine; like the optimal is 2500 to 3000. Of course,
going red is definitely not good, but what about 4000 to 5000?  It won't
blow the engine, but surely it's taking years off.  Or is it not?  On the
back roads it's not a problem, but the 75 mph highways I feel like I'm
doing my engine a disservice if I actually go that fast for an extended
period of time.

Wishin' it was a 5-speed...

- Tab

'78 B