Re: High RPMs Bad?

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: High RPMs Bad?
From: "Charles D. Sorkin" <cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 07:59:55 -0500
Deal List:

This whole discussion makes one wonder about the meaning of the redline is,
anyway.  I assume it represented the point at which the cooling system could
no longer dissipate heat at the rate that the engine produces it.  However,
in going through boxes and piles of used guages at different LBC events, it
seemed that they all pretty much had the same redline at about 5500.  Every
single one had the same redline, although the tachs were allegedly for all
sorts of different marques with widely varying engines.

I now suspect that the tachometer backgrounds were all printed by the same
printer at the same time by Smiths, and BMC just ordered them all.  Thus
regardles of where the engine should top out, all MG's seem to have about
the same redline.  (They didn't alter the tach on cars with an oil cooler,
did they?)

Regards,

Charles
'74 Midget