Re: MGB GT - what a wasted trip I made !!!!

To: BOB HILL <oldcars@newt.vallnet.com>
Subject: Re: MGB GT - what a wasted trip I made !!!!
From: Larry Dickstein <bugide@tfs.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 09:24:41 -0600
BOB HILL wrote:

> Well just got back from the 6 hour journey to look at the MGB GT.  The
> owner obviously described the car the way he WISHED it looked - not the
> way it really was.  I spent a lot of time ont he phone asking him
> detailing questions about the car and even mentioned that I had just
> gotten back from a rabbit chase last weekend becasue the guy
> misrepresented the car.

Well, Bob, we've all been there.  If I had a solution for the owner/optimists
out there, I'd be a rich person!  You didn't say what the owner wanted for the
car.  Keep in mind that rust is expensive and engines are cheap, relatively
speaking.  If the car could be bought for the right price, then you might
still be in the game.  If you don't want a project, then, my friend, you have
to keep at it.

I went to look at a '65 Austin Healey a couple of years ago.  The advertiser
knew up front that I was not interested in a project and the price asked
obviously was not in the project range.  We talked several times on the phone
where I reiterated my position that I wanted a nice driver and did not intend
to buy any thing that required more than normal maintenance.  Did I mention
that the seller/broker was/is in this business many years and still advertises
in this manner?

Anyway, off to Oklahoma we went.  When we pulled in the driveway of the motel
where we were to meet I could see, from the street, that the car was a project
at best.  If you don't like a car from 150' at night in the rain then you are
really not going to like it up close.  My wife complimented me later on the
fact that I didn't beat him to death on the spot and was very civil to the
broker and the trying to be previous owners.

To quote my sister:"you have to kiss a lot of toads before you find a Prince
Charming".  Keep at it and you'll find the car you want.  My guess is that you
will see more of the countryside that you expected but you will find the car
you like.

--
Larry Dickstein
Lone Jack, MO