Re: Best source for MGA/B 6 V. batteries?/ 12v

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Best source for MGA/B 6 V. batteries?/ 12v
From: Florrie & Allen Bachelder <bachldrs@swva.net>
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 1999 20:01:27 -0400
I've been lurking on this thread so far, but now my question can no longer
be restrained.  I use a single 12-volt battery in my MGBs and although I
live in the mountains of Southwest Virginia where cranking power is only
occasionally significant, I'm originally from Minnesota where folks really
appreciate cranking power.   I keep thinking - why not use those two
battery boxes to house TWO  of these modern 12 volt batteries - wired in
parallel, mind you, so you'd still get but 12 volts, but I'd suspect with
awesome CCAs!  It might  involve a custom-designed battery terminal clamp
that would accommodate two battery cables.

Anybody care to comment?

Thanks,

Allen

>From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
>
>I don't think you get any noticeable "improvement" except when the time
>comes to replace the battery and you save money. Also, I suppose, you
>have only half as many battery posts to keep clean.  A modern 12 volt
>battery would probably have more cranking amps than the 6 volt
>combination, but that wouldn't necessarily be noticeable on a day-to-day
>basis. Of course, there is also the weight savings. All in all, it is
>mainly a matter of convenience, not so much superior performance.
>
>Jouke Bloem had this to say:
>
>>I have an MG C GT. I also prefer originality but i can still keep the 6
>>volts stored
>>in case i want them back. What improvements can i expect from a 12 volt
>>battery?
>>
>>"James H. Nazarian" wrote:
>>
>>> Don,
>>>
>>> You're going to get a flood of mail suggesting that you replace the
>>>pair of
>6
>>> volt batteries with a single 12 volt battery. It is better for the car and
>>> easier to find. Toss the dual 6's and go with the single 12. I am also an
>>> originality freak like you, but this is the best little improvement you
>>>can
>>make
>>> for the car, and the silliest thing is it also works better and costs less
>>too!
>>>
>>> Jim
>>

>--
>
>Max Heim
>'66 MGB GHN3L76149
>If you're near Mountain View, CA,
>it's the red one with the silver bootlid.

mg-mg-mg-mg-mg-mg-mg-m-gmg-mg-mg

Allen Bachelder
'73 B - "done"
'76 B - daily driver
'73 GT - awaiting front wings
'65 B shell - awaiting paint
'67 GT - awaiting everthing
'57 ZB - parts car or resto-candidate? - awaiting decision
'49 YT - in "progress"

mg-mg-mg-mg-mg-mg-mg-mg-mg-mg-mg