Re: Oil Leak

To: "Gary R Hacker" <grhacker@wfl.fha.dot.gov>,
Subject: Re: Oil Leak
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 10:40:20 -0800
BTDT. What probably happened is that the assembly was not perfectly
centered when you tightened it down. Even after you have started the
threads on the center bolt it still has some side-to-side play. It is
very easy to get one edge of the assembly caught on the outer surface of
the block (not the sealing surface), and then torque down the bolt. There
is no way to "see" the surfaces, and it's an odd angle anyway, so you
don't suspect anything. At least you didn't try to drive away and leave a
trail down the whole driveway into the street (like I did).

Probably no harm done. Just get back in there, clean it up, and this time
keep wiggling the assembly as you tighten the bolt by hand, and you
should be able to feel if it catches on something, and when it is fully
seated. Or get someone to hold it in place for you while you tighten the
bolt from underneath.

Oh, and I found that the oil absorbent product that they sell at the auto
parts store actually is slightly more effective than kitty litter, at
least than the clumping kind which is what I had. And it was cheaper,
too... apparently pet supplies are marked up more than auto supplies. Not
often you find something that's actually less expensive when specialized
for your LBC.

Gary R Hacker had this to say:

--

Max Heim