Re: Problem with my MG...

To: RDusel@att.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Problem with my MG...
From: Tab Julius <tab@penworks.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 1999 00:51:13
Totally depends on the mileage.  I initially grew up thinking X miles was a
"lot", but in later years I learned from my father was a salesman who put
on probably 30k to 50k miles a year.  I myself now do about 1000 miles a
week, though in a different profession.  My lesson learned is definitely
"quality, not quantity".

People who drive 50k a year will usually be scrupulous about changing the
oil, fixing problems when they occur, etc.  A car driven by someone at that
level is usually driven at proper operating temperature, with oil and
filters clean, etc.

On the other hand, a car driven 5k a year probably never gets an oil or
filter change, never really gets up to operating temperature, and may be in
terrible shape.

I've since learned to do math of miles+years.  A 1996 with 150k miles is
probably a good buy.  A 1978 with 40k miles may or may not be.

- Tab