Re: Problem with my MG...

To: Robert Haigney <Robert.Haigney@anixter.com>
Subject: Re: Problem with my MG...
From: David Ambrose <stargazer1@home.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 1999 22:17:18 -0800

Robert Haigney wrote:

> I'm out in Sunny California, not too far from Riverside, I'm going to take a
> look at the bearings tomorrow, as from reading everyone's e-mails this seems
> be the main consensus, the engine runs great while idling, two garages, one MG
> one want between $1500 and $2500 to rebuild the thing, so I've decided to give
> it a go myself.
>
> As I said, I'm going to remove the sump and check the bearings tomorrow, and
> replace them and then go from there.

        If you rebuild the engine, be sure to check the camshaft. On my 69
engine, the lobes for the #1 valves were worn nearly round. Courtesy of
that blasted oil filter.

        Machine shops can often get bearings at good prices. I saved some money
letting them get the bearings for me.

        Figure on doing the head at the same time.

        Here is the cannonical list of Dave's engine rebuilding hints:

        Have a large quantity of baggies, a open, and a not pad handy. Bag
small parts with a description. Partly reassemble things where you can.

        Mark the location of the hinges on the hood (bonnet). It will make
reinstallation much easier.

        Let the machine shop break down the engine. They don't charge much and
they have the tools.

        You want to consider having the machine shop reassemble the bottom end.
The cost can be modest relative to the time and tools involved.

        Have a friend handy for moral support, and an extra hand.

        Have good beer handy as a reward for your friend and your occasional
need of immoral support.

        Get boxes of SAE washers, split lock washers, and nuts in 1/4", 5/16",
and 3/8" sizes. Replace all the washers and most of the nuts with new
parts.

        Keep a tub or dispenser of hand cleaner nearby, and keep lots of towels
and rags handy.

        Have a good torque wrench available.

        Keep things clean when reassembling the engine.

        Use assembly lube on all the moving parts when you put the thing back
together.

        Check all bearing clearances with plastigauge if you assemble the
bottom end yourself.

        Music hath charms which doth calm the savage beast.

        Be systematic and take your time.

        An engine stand is your friend.

        Cable hoists are instruments of the Devil. Avoid them. For further
proof, take a look at my oil pan.

        Take pictures of the completed engine. Put one on your desk. Your
friends will give you the most amusing looks for several weeks.

> Thanks for everyone's input, I look forward to e-mailing with everyone, it's
> great to know, I'm not alone, and there are so many helpful owners out there.

        Hey, you know where to find us.  Keep me posted.

        Best Regards,
        Dave Ambrose