Re: Tyre Pressures, again

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tyre Pressures, again
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2000 00:53:30 +0000
David Hill wrote:

> > Ughh!  25lbs front... or am I misreading this... the rims would
> > almost be on the ground at this low pressure for 60 profiles?  Well,
> > not really but I won't take mine below 30 (and more likely have them
> > up around 35lbs).
>
> My mistake, I meant 28 lb/sq. in. at the front. At that, the rims are
> well off the ground but I'm willing to experiment, if higher pressures
> work.
> At stock pressures, the tyres are bulgy, and the steering is
> noticeably Schwarzenegger but doesn't 35 psi make the ride rock hard?

OK... if you are looking for a soft ride then maybe I am not the person
to talk to.  With V8 suspension and 7/8 front sway bar (soon with rear
sway bar to complement:-) I am looking for handling.  I enjoy the
feeling of my eyeballs rattling around in my head.

I tried upping the pressure in my A509's to 35 front and similar or
slightly higher rear as an experiment - these tyres are rated to 44lbs -
but after a few hard laps of a warm track I found the pressures
dangerously high and it felt like I was sliding around the corners on
ice.  But iwas also nasty if they we warm and below 30lbs.

I aim for 30 front and 33/35 rear WARM.  Still, I have only raced two
meetings on these, I might still be proved wrong - but rock hard they
felt GREAT on a straight line!

I went low profile to get away from sidewall flex :-)

Eric
'68MGB MkII