Re: No More Speeding in the UK?

To: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Subject: Re: No More Speeding in the UK?
From: "James H. Nazarian" <microdoc@apk.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2000 15:26:21 -0500
Hi Max,

Who said they weren't wearing seat belts????????? They sure were!!! The seat
belts
were not adequate, and the airbags become useless after the first "bump". Look
at
what the SCCA or NASCAR considers safety equipment. Are airbags on the list??
Without approved safety equipment, and adequate driver training, neither
sanctioning body will let you on the race course. Thankfully, we see many,
actually most, drivers walk away from unimaginable 200+ mph conflagrations on
the
race track.

I advocate graded driver's licensing. Keep the untrained or incompetent off high
speed roads. Keep young "moms" with infants in child seats from turning around
adjust a pacifier while basting along at 75 mph all the while gabbing on the
cell
phone. Of course the Mom is in the front and the child is in the rear of the car
safely tucked away from the airbag that we now know can kill children and other
small people!  Drive in the northern states some winter, and you will probably
get
to watch many fools in their SUV's (I have one too) driving way too fast (70+
mph
on an interstate highway) in icy conditions 'cause they have 4 WD! They make the
most fearsome 5000 lb. missiles at that speed.

Some of the fault lies with the drivers; yes there are abundant numbers of
stupid
people on the road, but some of the fault lies with bad equipment, and IMHO
airbags fall into that category.

I'm growing kind of attached to this silly soapbox... would its owner consider
selling it to me?

Jim