My B is cursed

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: My B is cursed
From: Florrie & Allen Bachelder <bachldrs@swva.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 09:53:05 -0400
Derek,

I'm not the most qualified on the list to answer your electrical question,
but at this moment I seem to be the first - so I'll warn you: DO NOT try to
start the car until you find the problem.

I no longer have a '78 B - so I'm not up to speed on ignition-relay
controlled cars, but I do remember replacing one that had melted down.
The ignition switch relay is the same unit as the starter relay - and
either one could be the problem.  If your clock stops when you turn to
"start",  I would NOT try to start the car until you find the problem
because you might have a short from an unfused circuit to ground - which
could melt down your wiring harness or even cause a fire.

 I don't have access to a '78 wiring diagram at the moment, but unless the
car has a feature whereby brown and purple wire circuits are interrupted
during start-up, the clock should not be affected by the ignition switch at
all.  Use your volt-ohm meter to check for continuity through the ignition
switch, the ignition switch relay and the starter relay for continuity from
hot to ground (which you DO NOT want).   Do other items (heater fan,
windshield wipers, turn signals, brake lights, back-up lights, windshield
wipers, etc) on the ignition switch circuit work?

Shooting from the hip, it sounds like a shorting starter relay.  A new one
costs about $22 in the US and I carry a spare.  In your car, the spare will
replace either the starter relay or the ignition switch relay.  Sooner or
later, both fail.

If your car has wire wheels, flat tire problem is probably due to improper
inner tubes.  I don't know about Holland, but the innertubes sold in most
US tire stores will not work with MGB tires.  After experiencing about one
flat tire per month (more on trips!) for probably two years, I bought a set
of "Classico" tubes (either British made or British endorsed) from a Moss
supplier here and I haven't had a tire problem since.

Good luck (' sounds like you're entitled to some!)

Allen

>From: "Derek Vandivere" <dersk@usa.net>
>
>So, I got a tire slashed the weekend before having new tires put on, and two
>of the new tires have gone flat...
>
>...But when I tried to start
>the 78B the other day, nothing happened until I took the key OUT, at which
>point the starter engaged...
>Now it won't start at all - the clock is running, but stops when I turn the
>key to the start position. Nothing else, no solenoid click, no nothing.
>Other than check all the fuses, clean the fuse connections, I guess my only
>recourse is to pull out a voltmeter and have at it. Oh, well, I wanted to
>learn on this car. It'd be nice if SOMETHING <expletive deleted> worked,
>though.

         Allen H. Bachelder  =iii=<
         Sinking Creek Home for Wayward MGs
         49 YT, 57 ZB, 58 ZB, 65 B, 67 BGT, 73 B, 73BGT, 76 B, &...
         New Castle, VA 24127
         USA
         540/544-7333