'71 B, still no start

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: '71 B, still no start
From: "Craig D. Niederst" <niederst@telerama.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 18:13:04 -0500
Well, still cannot get the B started. I thought before that It may have been
something in the distributor (only had spark at #2), but after a little
cleaning I now have spark at all cylinders. One thing I did notice about the
distributor is that the lower of the 2 clips that hold the cap on is gone
(thus why there was a wire tie holding the assembly together put there by
the DPO). Any way to fix this (without buying a whole new distributor)? I
have already verified that I get fuel to the carbs. I am currently at a loss
on why the car will not turn over. It cranks fine, just will not start,
sputter, etc. I was thinking that the carbs could possibly be dirty and
blocked from old gas, etc. I did pull the fuel line from the carbs and
allowed the fuel pump to pump about 1 liter of gas out of the system before
trying to start the car. The first few squirts were a bit dirty, but it was
clean after that. But who knows if the DPO tried to start the car and may
have let some of the dirty gas into the carbs. When I pulled the plugs after
a little cranking, they all did smell of gas (so it looks like gas is
getting to the combustion chambers). Any ideas on where to look next? TIA.

Craig
'71 B (still in the street and covered in snow)