Re: '71 B, still no start

To: "Craig D. Niederst" <niederst@telerama.com>,
Subject: Re: '71 B, still no start
From: "John A. Walker" <john@rmartin.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 15:18:58 -0800
Hey Craig,

Have your tried pulling a wire off of one of the plugs to see if you are
getting any spark
at the plug.  If you are not, could be that you cap situation is causing
it, could be bad
coil or coil wire.  Have you checked to see that the timing is at least close?

That is where I would start.

-JW

At 06:13 PM 1/20/00 -0500, Craig D. Niederst wrote:
>Well, still cannot get the B started. I thought before that It may have been
>something in the distributor (only had spark at #2), but after a little
>cleaning I now have spark at all cylinders. One thing I did notice about the
>distributor is that the lower of the 2 clips that hold the cap on is gone
>(thus why there was a wire tie holding the assembly together put there by
>the DPO). Any way to fix this (without buying a whole new distributor)? I
>have already verified that I get fuel to the carbs. I am currently at a loss
>on why the car will not turn over. It cranks fine, just will not start,
>sputter, etc. I was thinking that the carbs could possibly be dirty and
>blocked from old gas, etc. I did pull the fuel line from the carbs and
>allowed the fuel pump to pump about 1 liter of gas out of the system before
>trying to start the car. The first few squirts were a bit dirty, but it was
>clean after that. But who knows if the DPO tried to start the car and may
>have let some of the dirty gas into the carbs. When I pulled the plugs after
>a little cranking, they all did smell of gas (so it looks like gas is
>getting to the combustion chambers). Any ideas on where to look next? TIA.
>
>Craig
>'71 B (still in the street and covered in snow)

         John Walker
      john@rmartin.net
      drone@d23.com
~= Early 1974 MGB =~