Re: '71 B, still no start

To: "Craig D. Niederst" <niederst@telerama.com>,
Subject: Re: '71 B, still no start
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 09:47:44 -0000
If you've got spark at al;l four plugs and fuel then the thing to do now is
to confirm the timing.

Remove No. 1 plug, put your thumb over the hole and turn the engine in its
proper direction (when standing at the front of the car looking back at the
engine, the pulleys turn clockwise) until the pressure in the cylinder blows
your thumb off.  Keep turning until the piston is at the top of its
movement.  This is quite hard to judge as the movement is very little at
each end of the stroke, you can make two marks on the crankshaft pulley -
one where the piston appears to stop moving on its up-stroke, and another
where it appears to start moving again on its down-stroke.  Use the TDC
pointer on the front cover to show where to make the mark, the TDC pointer
is the last one a point on the pulley passes, the others are all BTDC.  The
TDC notch on the pulley should be in the middle your two marks.  If it is
not then your crankshaft pulley has probably begun to delaminate which will
make timing difficult, make a new TDC mark between your two other marks.

Now look at the postion of the rotor arm, it should be at about 2 o'clock.
If it pointing elsewhere then someone has replaced it incorrectly, have a
look at the web site below (select 'Spanners', 'Ignition' and scroll down to
'DISTRIBUTOR DRIVE GEAR POSITION from John Twist') for how to correct it.

Wherever the rotor is pointing, that is No. 1 cylinder.  The plug leads are
numbered from here 1342 anti-clockwise.

PaulH.