Re: Consumer Reports was Re: Corvairs and Ralph Nader

To: danray <danray@bluegrass.net>
Subject: Re: Consumer Reports was Re: Corvairs and Ralph Nader
From: "James H. Nazarian, Ph.D." <microdoc@apk.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 22:45:25 -0500
I just finished watching NOVA on PBS one segment of this auto crash/safety
segment of the series talked about Nader and the Corvair scam. I remembered
once  reading that the reason he got away with his BS story about that
remarkable car was GM and the whole auto industry wanted the Corvair killed
because they had so much invested in old technology (frame+body+FWD) that they
wanted to keep using, but if Corvair was a success the cost of retooling was
astronomical. The US auto makers thought they controlled not only American
pocketbooks, but American minds. They miscalculated on the impact the imports
would have. In the end the Aremicans had to retool to keep pace with the
imports. What was the name of that flick... the conspiracy theory?

Well kids, some of us old farts have lived through the Kennedy murders, the
Warren Commission BS, the Viet Nam BS, and even the Nader/Corvair BS. We thought
we had seen enough, then along came the Clinton/Monica BS. And some folks think
we got rid of the monarchy! We are still pawns with our little MG's and they are
still the royalty. The only difference is they don't wear crowns any more.

Damn it! I thought we agreed to get rid of this silly soap box. Well it's cold
in here, I'm putting it in the fireplace. Oh, Shi*. The soapbox is made of
plastic... figures.

(In the inimitable words of our hero Rozanne Rozannadana...) "Never mind."

Jim