Moss "selling" names

To: "MGs digest" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Moss "selling" names
From: "n" <twobees@sprynet.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 12:48:48 -0500
I noticed this thread recently about Moss selling someone's name to VB, and
that this implies collusion.

As someone who makes his living in the media business, I can assure you that
competitors do indeed RENT lists from one another, when they can.  That's
how we target mailings for maximum response.  Afterall, would it be logical
for an MG parts supplier to rent a list from a company that sells dollhouse
kits?  Of course not.  They're going to rent a list as close to what they
are selling as is possible.

IF Moss did this, it's because VB rented the list from them.  These kinds of
rentals are for a one-time use.  If someone from the rented list responds to
a mailing, they are then added to the new company's database. Only then will
that name become the property of the second company.

If you object to having your name sold to another company, you have the
right to request that it not be rented.  That request must be made in
writing,  You'll note that many Websites on which you register ask if you
will allow your name to be used by others.  You can also write the Direct
Mail Marketing Association to request being removed from, or added to
certain list categories.

Norm Sippel
'66 MGB