Re: Rally info

To: ninab@scoresheet.com
Subject: Re: Rally info
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 11:55:01 -0500
Hi Nina,
  Assessment of the participants is worthwhile if this is the first rally
that you are doing for the group.  If they are experienced, then anything
goes.  If they have never done it before, keep in mind that MG odometers
and speedos are primarily decorative. Distances, speeds and times may not
be significant to your first rally.
  Seems to me that a worthwhile destination is important, someplace that
is worth the drive anyhow and easy to find with the rescue instructions
that you included in a sealed envelope you gave them all, along with the
phone # of someone who knows the area and can give directions to those
who might be hopelessly lost.
  A scenic route is important.
  There are all sorts of ways to organise a rally, limited to one's
creativity or innate cruelty quotient.
  We (group in CT MG Club)  put on a rally a couple of years ago, based
on the pattern of the Tulip Rally used at the NEMGT Register's GOF a
month before.  For this, you work out a route and then draw a set of
instructions. Instructions picture intersections with turn arrows to show
the way to go.  We typed in distances between intersections---what a
waste! Half the people got lost because they trusted their odometers and
not their eyes, despite instructions to follow the map. Use landmarks,
obscure for the experienced drivers, pretty darn obvious for the
beginners.
  Put questions in- what is the figure of the weathervane on the
Congregational Church? What is the third automobile related franchise
store on your left in this section of the drive?  Who is the person of
the statue on the Town Green?
  If you do need to set distances, drive the route with different cars to
measure mileage. One of our vehicles loses about 3/10 mile on the odo
every time it is backed up. Folks may accept their own errors with
equanimity, but they don't appreciate errors on the part of those who
wrote the directions.
  You don't need to attempt to be tricky. Most folks can develop a fair
sense of confusion on any written or pictured instructions. Think of
software documentation. Think of Moses, who took 40 years to lead the
troops 200 miles. Men didn't ask for directions then either.
Bob