Re: Rally info

To: Nina Barton <ninab@scoresheet.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rally info
From: ya632@victoria.tc.ca (Paul Nelson)
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 09:16:00 -0800
At  6:55 2/17/00 -0800, Nina Barton wrote:
>Hi everyone.  I'm supposed to be setting up a rally for my MG club in
>April.  Since I have never done this before, I would like some tips on how
>it is supposed to be set up and what kind of tricks are incorporated into
>it and all that.  The only rally I have seen was around the backwoods of
>Marin County, and it involved a bunch of pictures and you had to decide
>whether they were valid, and mark down a landmark (like a streetsign) if
>they were.  Thanks in advance for any tips.            Nina

Back in 65-67 I did some great rallies in northern New York and southern
Ontario in a Volvo 122s.  These were done on the basis of precision timing,
and instructions using mileage to the 10ths of a mile and times to the
second, and people would register your time at checkpoints as early or
late, both losing you points.  I really wanted a Halda Speedpilot at the
time, which was a mechanical computer running off the speedo cable, but
haven't done any rally driving since.  A lot of work to set up, though.  If
anyone is in Buffalo, are the annual Simon Pure rallies still happening?
Paul Nelson