Re: Brake light switches AND fluid problems

To: "Barney Gaylord" <barneymg@ntsource.com>, "Skye Poier" <skye@ffwd.com>,
Subject: Re: Brake light switches AND fluid problems
From: "Mike Lishego" <mlishego@asheboro.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 21:25:54 -0500
I've noticed that too.  My only guess is that the fluid darkens
because of heat contamination; similar to automatic transmission
fluid.  I bet the small rubber bits may come from new parts getting
to know one another, but I can't be sure.  I noticed this same
phenomena in my 'B and also in my Plymouth.  Of course, when I did
this work, I took the time to flush out the lines...I bet a little
crud hangs out in the lines too and causes some of it.

BTW, I redid my system with all-new rubber parts and used the
Castrol GT LMA DOT 4 stuff.  I think it's pretty good.  I liked it
so much, I put it in my other cars too...

As for silicone, my father uses it in his 'vette, and it's a good
thing he buys lifetime warranty parts for it.  He bought a new set
of calipers about five years ago, and every time he fires up the car
for the summer, he finds one or two of his 'new' calipers have some
defect due to water in the system.  Of course, he gets another set
free, puts them on, drives the car about 600 miles to and from
shows, and parks it for the winter again.  Next spring, the same
scenario plays itself out...
So, I guess it's not costing him anything, and it's not causing any
problems with the lines yet, but he's got to get tired of replacing
one or two calipers every year!

Mike Lishego
http://www.mgb.bc.ca/virtualgarage/
1991 Mazda Miata
1986 Plymouth Turismo T1
1986 Chrysler LeBaron GTS
1984 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE
1974 MGB
Asheboro, North Carolina

Would anyone care to venture a guess whether this