Re: Magnette Mutilation Take Two

To: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Subject: Re: Magnette Mutilation Take Two
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 16:55:21 -0500
"Dodd, Kelvin" wrote:
> I am not going to rebuild the 1500 engine.

  Sadly, a good plan. I am using my 1500 engine until it
falls apart, then I'll go this way.

  My clutch assembly is already a little weird, since my
ZB was originally a Manumatic.

> Does anyone have hands on experience with installing a 5 main 1800 onto a
> non-synchro (preferably Magnette w/top mounted slave) gearbox?

  Practical Classics had a feature on this a while back, I can
dig it up for those who are PC-impaired.

  They basically said what we all are experiencing, the 3 main
bearing drops right in but it's hard to find, so you'll probably
need to make do with a 5.

  From what I recall, it was pretty simple, use five main engine
and change the transmission shaft, or use a five main and an
all synchro. Either way, starter needs to be relocated but it
was very simple, just drill another hole so it installs at
a different angle.

  It seems easier to just use the MGB all synchro tranny,
they are pretty bulletproof which means most junkyards have
good usable ones.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca