Re: MG is reborn?

To: "Martin C. Jones" <M.C.Jones@staffs.ac.uk>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MG is reborn?
From: Leckstein <bleckstein@mail.monmouth.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 18:44:27 -0500
>>BMW has today sold off the bits of Rover it doesn't want to
>>a venture capital company.

>Wow!  Does anyone know if Land Rovers were part of the deal or are they
>being retained by BMW.
>
>The question is of interest to us, as there is an established Land Rover
>dealership network, and thus a network for a U.S. MG import. If not, that
>slope just got steeper. No matter how great the MGF or future model is, you
>need a dealership network to sell and service.
>
>As to a new company developing cars, yikes. Look at De Lorean and the tons
>of money the British Govt. spent on that disaster.
>
>I know this is sacrilage, but I hope GM or Ford buy this new company or MG
>real fast, for only these two giants can hold on for this sleigh ride.
>
>I will try to find out about Land Rover on the net,
>
>Mike

I am answering my own question.

BMW did not sell Land Rover, only Rover cars. (Bad for us)

The new company will be called the "MG Car Company" and produce the Rover
car line as MG.

There is speculation that Land Rover will be sold by BMW to Ford or VW. Of
course this is without the MG, thus no dealer network in the US for the new
MG company.

Check the web news from yahoo.

I see no good news here. The New MG Company expects big lay offs and the
unions are  already talking strike. Doesn't sound too good does it?

In 1980 the MG Company suddenly closed. It was like Rudolf Valentino dying.
It was sudden and unexpected, and  was at a time when it still made the
best inexpensive pure sport car in the world.

Now the bones have been dug up, not for what I am afraid is new glory, but
to profit on past fame while it dies an ugly terrible  second death. I hope
I am wrong.

I use silicon brake fluid, doesn't everybody?

Mike