Re: OD Wiring

To: "Skye Poier" <skye@ffwd.com>, "MG Nuts" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: OD Wiring
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 17:41:29 -0800
Ah, now you made me go out and look...

Skye Poier had this to say:

>Word on the street is that Max Heim said:
>> I have the plain (not crooked) toggle switch on the dash (the crooked one
>> cost 3X as much). It is wired in-line with the lockout switch, or, more
>> precisely, I ran a wire from the ignition-on fuse to the dash switch,
>> then to the lockout switch, and from there to the solenoid.
>
>Interesting... OK, just to confirm, wire from:

To be absolutely precise:

ign-on (green) -> dash switch terminal 1 ; dash switch terminal 2 ->
lockout switch terminal 1 ;  lockout switch terminal 2 -> OD solenoid ->
ground (case)

It makes no difference which terminal is 1 or 2 on either switch. I used
yellow wire from a vague notion that that is what was indicated in the
wiring diagram.

>Should i hook up to white (ign-on unfused) or green (ign-on fused) ?

Mine is on green... makes sense, probably want it fused.

>> This gives
>> you the following switch conditions:
>>
>> Dash switch ON; Trans in 4 = OD ON
>> Dash switch ON; trans in R, 1, 2, or 3 = OD OFF
>> Dash switch OFF; trans in any gear = OD OFF
>>
>> I have the Blue Label OD which only operates in 4th gear -- your Black
>> Label OD would work in 3rd or 4th gear. The lockout switch is very
>> simple. It has a plunger on the bottom which, when contacted by the
>> 3rd-4th gear transmission shift rod, is depressed, enabling current flow
>> to the solenoid (ON position). Otherwise, it is OFF.
>
>OK, so the switch is internal to the trans.  For some reason I thought
>the switch was outside of the trans and needed to be hooked up inline with
>the connectors on the trans.  Makes much more sense now.

That's right, the round jobber with the terminals protruding IS the
lockout switch. Just hook the incoming wire to one side and the solenoid
wire to the other side. The solenoid grounds to the case. Just to make
sure I had a good ground, I ran a separate ground strap from a
transmission case bolt to the chassis, I think at a crossmember bolt.
Otherwise you're relying on the engine ground strap, which is a ways
away. Don't know if this is necessary at all, just something I did for
the halibut.

>The only question remaining is, what is the purpose of the starter relay
>shown in the circuit here?  I don't think my '66 has one.

No, I don't have a starter relay, either. I know they must be good for
something <g>, but it doesn't seem necessary in this application.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149