Re: OD Wiring

To: skye@ffwd.com
Subject: Re: OD Wiring
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 07:46:21 -0500
Skye,
  The hookup in the LH (later ODs for the 4-synchros) which it seems you
have, is like this--OD switch to lockout switch to solenoid.   You can
switch the OD on, but until the lockout switch goes on, the solenoid does
not get electricity.  The solenoid is in the bottom of the OD, and the
small black wire coming out of the OD is soldered to the solenoid.  When
the solenoid is energised, it moves a piston that redirects the oil flow
in the OD and causes the OD to engage.
  As I understand what you wrote, the DPO connected switch to the
solenoid without passing through the lockout switch.  This is a tempting
shortcut, since access to the lockout switch is difficult.  But, it does
risk the OD itself if the OD is engaged accidentally in the lower gears
or reverse.
  If you remove the shift lever boot you may be able to see the lockout
switch, in the shadows about five inches down on the left side of the
gearbox.  The exact measurement is your finger length plus 3/8 inch.  IF
you can get an ohmmeter onto those terminals, you can test the switch. It
should pass current in 3 and 4, or 4 only, depending on the transmission.

  Then, if the switch does work, your challenge is to take the lead from
the panel switch to the lockout, and another lead from the lockout to the
solenoid.   Easier said than done.
Bob