Side Cover etc

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Side Cover etc
From: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@apphosting.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 23:02:34 +1000
Hi all,

My A has the usual side cover - vent to ground. Inside the cover is a wire
mesh type filter. I cleaned this out some months back by sitting it in kero
for a few hours. It cleaned up fine and I had no noticeable oil consumption
prior to my Crank going AWOL. I did have some blow by, but later discovered
what the problem was there - it wasn't blow by, but erm, some other silly
DCO problem. hehe. :o) I've since read about replacing these side covers as
they 'apparently' get permanently blocked and lead to high oil consumption.
Is that a crock? Will I be ok with my old, clean cover or do I need to get a
new one? ie is it only wire mesh in there or was something else in there as
well? Seeing as I am doing a complete motor rebuild I don't want to skimp on
something simple like this.

As for the A, it's moving along slowly. I managed to get the floorboard
rails cleaned up and rust primed, and the engine bay sort of respectable,
certainly not eat off it material. That would take a chemical bath for the
entire car I'm afraid!! <G> Now that you can put your hand in the bay and
not get _totally filthy, you can't put your feet on the ground in my garage!
Such is life! Next step is to put some chassis black on the rails. After
that I'll be drilling out the bolt holes for the boards & sealing them with
a Marine grade Epoxy (West System - cost more than the plywood - but less
than just Marine grade ply on it's own). Once they've been trial fitted,
it'll - hopefully - be time to put the motor back in the car - am waiting
for flat top +060 pistons to be made. I can't do the new carpets until the
'box is back in the car of course as I need the cover in place etc etc! You
people with B's don't know what ya missing. <G> I was actually sitting IN my
A, but on the garage floor this morning. Figure that out! lol!

A couple of friends have come over and gone 'oh my god what happened to your
car??!'. I think they think I've been at it with an angle grinder. ;) The
looks on their faces when they see wooden floorboards. One way of getting
people NOT to want a ride in your MG when they realise it's simply a bit of
$25, 1/2" Fijian exterior grade plywood between their butt and the ground at
60mph.... hehe! ;)

'ave a good one. :)

Cheers,
Neil (who's in a good mood tonight coz the Kiwi's won the Hong Kong Rugby
Sevens) :))
--
61 A / 70 BGT / 68 CGT/ 56 BN2