Floor panel replacement

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Floor panel replacement
From: "Craig D. Niederst" <niederst@telerama.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 20:44:05 -0500
The passenger side floor pan on my '71 B needs replacing (thought it could
be patched, but there would be more patch there than floor pan). The pan has
rusted from the inside down due to water that had gotten into the car. It
looks like water was definitely sitting along the inner sill wall, and thus
has rusted through in some places. In trying to remove the pan, it appears
the DPO attempted to repair the floor previously. The DPO's repair was to
rivet a new lip onto the bottom of the sill area under the car for a 1 foot
or so length of the pan, and then riveted it to the badly rusted floor (this
repair was nicely hidden by undercoating from underneath, BTW). The
crossmembers under the floor pan are solid, as are the jacking point and lip
along the tranny tunnel. The new floor pan I bought is a Steelcraft pan, and
it has the 1" or so vertical lip around its perimeter. Since the lip along
the sill is in poor shape, would a seam weld attaching this lip to the inner
sill wall be enough for a sound floor on the sill side? Also, does the floor
pan provide structural strength to the spring hanger? The floor pan around
the spring hanger on the passenger side again rusted from the inside down
(about 1" of the front of the bracket is now visible from inside the car),
but the bracket is undamaged and is solidly in place. Does this need
repaired additionally for structural concerns, or is this just cosmetic?
BTW, any ideas on how much a welding repair like this should cost? I am
removing the floor pan my self (or at least trying to), and will be
providing the new floor pan. TIA

Craig
'71 B