Distributor Wobble Question

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Distributor Wobble Question
From: BobMGT@aol.com
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 15:35:14 EDT
In the process of installing new points on my '71 B, I noticed there's quit a
bit of wobble in the plate that the points mount to. I see this plate is
suppose to rotate and there's a spring that pulls the plate towards the
vacuum advance unit. This spring also seems to pull down on that side of the
plate which is tilting the plate slightly. The plate is cocked enough that
the points block does not sit square against the cam. Only the bottom edge of
the block is against the cam. If I push down on the condenser with my finger
the plate levels out and the block sits square against the cam. Is something
worn out? Or, is something missing that should be pulling down on the side of
the plate that is tilted up? Or is this plate supposed to float with this
much looseness? BTW, the distributor number is #41339.

Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
EMAIL - BOBMGT@AOL.COM
52 MGTD - under DIY restoration NEMGTR #11470
71 MGB   - AMGBA #96-12029, NAMGBR #7-3336