Re: Distributor Wobble Question

To: "Baker, G." <gbaker@customcpu.com>, "MG Board" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Distributor Wobble Question
From: "David Hill" <Davhill@btinternet.com>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 01:07:13 +0100
Hello, BakerG.

Can't really help you on the first one, other than to say that dist. recon
usually involves fitting new shaft bushes-and possibly a new shaft-as a core
operation, to remove the side play in the assembly.

Re. the holes on the SU flange. If you examine an SU piston, you will see
that there are holes at the base, located on the engine side of the needle
mounting. These holes communicate with the inside of the suction chamber
(dashpot) and the vacuum created in the dashpot is what lifts the piston
assembly.

The upper holes in the air filter mounting flange allow air in *under* the
piston; without them, a further vacuum would be created under the piston,
stopping it from rising.

In practice, the piston can rise with these holes blocked because its lower
half is not an airtight fit in the carb. body. However, the result is no
acceleration to speak of because the carb. is effectively out of time with
the demands of the throttle butterflies.

In short, don't block them :-)

David Hill

Can I Telework for you? See what I do, at...
http://www.angelfire.com/biz4/davtel/index.html
Troubled by a phobia? Know someone who has one? Go to...
http://www.angelfire.com/de/ukphobias/index.html