Re: Fashion Gods Dictate Terminal Ugliness

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fashion Gods Dictate Terminal Ugliness
From: Kristian Chronister <kris.chronister@fuelna.com>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 15:11:07 -0400
Interesting viewpoint re: awful design of the 80's and the modern bubbles...
And one I'd agree with wholeheartedly, except that you happen to pick
examples that I view 100% oppositely. If you'd mentioned the K car, or the
Ford Fairmont or Tempo, or the (shudder) Mazda 626, I'd be right there with
you... But...

I considered, and consider, the VW cabriolet to be very pleasing,
aesthetically, and one of the cars with the most character out there (though
don't ask me 'bout the new beetle -- eeeew).

I also have a fond spot for the older civics, celicas and corollas. Good
solid cars, very good design, nice look for the price level they came in at,
and certainly innovative look for their day -- especially the civic. They
really didn't turn into generic-mobile Camraccordaximas until the 90's.
Sure, In retrospect, they look a little boxy, clunky, or otherwise flawed,
but so do a good portion of our beloved LBCars, IMHO. Put a TR3 next to a MG
T-series... The 3 looks front-heavy to me. Like two different cars stuck
together in the middle. The elegant rear portion of a t-series with the
front-end of a... I dunno... Studebaker? Something big and tanky, anyhow...
I think the TR3's a great, classic car with a distinctive look, but not a
look I care for.

So now I will step up for flaming by giving our final area of disagreement.
I consider the B (particularly the BGT) the worst looking car of any MG ever
designed. MASSIVE aesthetic step down from the A. Appearance is bulbous,
heavy, amazingly ponderous looking for such a small car... Not at all
comparable with the TR6, which was a much better iteration of the
rounder/streamlined look of that era. (And I'm an MG buff saying that!). I
consider it the second-worst-looking LBCar on record -- after the TR7. Yeah,
I see how many are out there lovingly kept and restored and realize I'm in a
minority, but hey, free speech, ya' know.

Of course, YMMV. Probably YMDoesV... Vive la difference.

Kris