Re: windshield repair

To: jmc <jmc987@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: windshield repair
From: Bill Saidel <saidel@crab.rutgers.edu>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 23:18:04 -0400 (EDT)
Joe,
I tried this system on a windshield defect and in my hands, it partially
worked. Basically the trick is to create a vacuum in the crack so the
resin is sucked into it. Obviously, if the vacuum is not complete, the
resin doesn't replace all the air.  Still, it filled in 2/3rds of the
crack and hasn't expanded.

Good luck and let us know how well it worked for you.

Bill

On Mon, 29 May 2000,
jmc wrote:

> My wife found a kit for repairing stone chips in the windshield. It
> involves a suction cup and syringe set up to suck the air out of the chip
> and inject a clear resin. Has anyone had any success with this sort of
> thing? If it matters, it's a round chip that isn't spreading. Thanks in
> advance.
>
> Joseph
> 67 MGB Roadster
> 93 Volvo (the one with the chip)

Bill Saidel           (856) 225-6336
Dept. of Biology      (856) 225-6312 FAX
Science Building      E-Mail: saidel@crab.rutgers.edu
Rutgers University
315 Penn Street
Camden, NJ 08102-1411
USA
For more information about my science, check
      http://crab.rutgers.edu/~saidel/saidel.html

"Sacred cows make divine hamburgers."