Re: windshield repair

To: jmc987@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: windshield repair
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 10:05:45 -0400
  A flying stone chipped the windshield of my S-10 truck. My insurance
company offered to waive the deductible if they could repair the glass
instead of replacing it.
  I agreed, and a repair man appeared at my office the next day, with his
kit of suction cup, mixing dishes and the resin.  Watching him work was
interesting and informative. He told me that they were about 90 per cent
sucessful.
  As luck would (seem to) have it, an crack had started and the crack
spread across the glass during the next two weeks.  While the repair
remained perfect, and perfectly invisible, the crack was prominent.
  I rang back the insurance company. They sent out another guy, this one
with a new windshield and, because I had agreed to the repair effort,
they waived the deductible for the windshield.
  The real luck, it turned out, was that the windshield was replaced.
After 85M miles, there was a fair amount of sand pitting in the old
windshield. Its effect on nighttime visibility was not apparent until the
new glass installed. Incredible difference, as the windshield was much
more transparent at night. I'm told that the sand pitting increases the
internal reflectance of the glass, making the glass brighter and passing
less light through it.
  So, yes, try the kit. It may well save you the cost of a new
windshield.
Bob