Re: Getting to know you...

To: MGB@shoyer.com, mgs@autox.team.net, saidel@crab.rutgers.edu
Subject: Re: Getting to know you...
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 12:58:06 EDT
In a message dated 6/5/00 12:09:35 PM Eastern Daylight Time, MGB@shoyer.com
writes:

<< There's an article in the June/July issue of British Car Magazine, "Basic
 British Tech: When It Won't Start" that has some of the things to try. >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Just to point out that our cars have "personality," the article isn't called,
"IF it won't start."

You will eventually run into other scenarios when your car won't start.  Just
try to build up a mental list of symptoms, and what caused them.

Yesterday my '77 Midget wouldn't start.  It ran all day Saturday, and I put
150 miles on it.  It started at least 6 times perfectly on Saturday.  Sunday
morning, it just turned over and over with no hint of a spark.

I squirted some starting fluid in the air cleaner and still no start, not
even a little kick. That was my clue that the problem is electrical.  I
pulled a plug wire and stuck a screwdriver in the end of the wire, then
positioned the metal shaft of the driver about 1/4" from the alternator
bracket.  I cranked the engine again, and could see no spark arcing across
the gap.  Definitely an ignition problem.

I am now guessing it is the aftermarket Pirhana ignition module.  I will
replace it with a CraneCams XR700 when I get some cash.

After you have had all the problems you can have with your LBC, you will be
an expert!

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget