Re: Tube shock conversion data

To: MG Listserver <mgs@autox.team.net>, Tim Economu <economu@whidbey.com>
Subject: Re: Tube shock conversion data
From: Chris Attias <cattias@cats.ucsc.edu>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 10:10:23 -0700
At 9:30 AM -0600 6/8/2000, Tim Economu wrote:
>Yes I agree. Let's see track data and let's hear from the experts!!

I guess the big question is, do you really want to drive on the track
or the street?  Do you autocross on the weekends?  The setup--spring
rates, ride height, horsepower, sway bar spec, aftermarket suspension
stuff like panhard rods or antitramp bars, tires, etc.--for a given
road condition (from smooth track to rough street) will have a lot of
bearing on shock spec and evaluation.  A setup that turns in great
track times probably won't give you either good seat-of-the-pants
road feel or quickness on the street.  Different courses for
different horses...

IMHO, levers are probably perfectly good for street driving with a
stock suspension, but as you re-engineer the suspension, things will
change.

When I was looking into suspension setup, I found an article about
the rally cars Ron Gammons (Brown and Gammons,
http://www.ukmgparts.com/) set up.  His CB MGBs have won numerous
European vintage rally events (driven by his customers, pros like
Stirling Moss, and himself.)   His cars have been set up to meet the
requirements of vintage rallying sanctioning bodies (minimal/period
modification) and to be dead reliable.  From what I've read, he uses
competition-valved levers, an only slightly lowered CB suspension,
and only slightly stiffer springs and front anti-roll bars.  Keeping
the wheels on the ground over uneven road surfaces and neutral
steering response, are key requirements.

I would tend to think that for the street, seat of the pants is a
good enough indicator of whether a modification is worthwhile.

--
Chris Attias
'64 MGB