Re: Looking for a MK I

To: "Eric Kolb" <macman@magpage.com>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Looking for a MK I
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kmr@pil.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 17:18:46 -0400
> What is the best place to find a MGB for sale?  Also what problems and
> good things should I be looking for when test driving / looking the car
> over?  Any well know place in Delaware, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and
> Maryland (basically northeast region)?  I am looking for an MK I MGB.
>
> -Eric Kolb
> Kennett Square, Pennsylvania

Everyone else has mentioned rust.  Which is definitely one of the number one
things to be on the look out for.  If not equally important is to carefully
exam in the body for signs of accident damage.  Things like uneven door
gaps, waves in the panel work along the sides, bondo'd over panel seams
(should not be smooth at the ridges along the rear wings).

Also don't expect an A1 Okay car for $800.  It seems there are LOTS of
boneheads out there who think $800 will get them a rust free, mechanically
sound, entirely complete... MKI MGB and they even expect extras like the
factory hardtop and wirewheels.

Eric, I know you emailed me the other day regarding my 1966 MGB... that
message will be sent seperately of this.  And if anyone else is interested
in a rusty 1966 MGB roadster, with wirewheels and a factory hardtop... and
complete for the most part (seems I lost the carbs, but that is about all)
feel free to get in touch.

Sooner I can get rid of this bloody the MGB, the sooner a parking space
opens for another Triumph.  (and it is purely my professional opinion that
repairing and restoring Triumphs is much easier than any MG... seems TRs are
worth a bit more too)

:P

Kai