Re: Overdrive woes

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Overdrive woes
From: ATWEDITOR@aol.com
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 14:22:47 EDT
In a message dated 6/22/00 5:42:13 PM, mvheim@studiolimage.com writes:

<<  I believe I have previously heard reports of OD problems caused
by using too light or too slippery a lubricant. At least one respondant
claimed changing the oil solved his problem. >>

That poster would be me.  I put an aviation oil, 5W-50, in my OD some years
ago.  When I switched the OD in, it would engage, and then constantly jump in
and out.  Although the OD is electrically actuated, it is hydraulic pressure
that keeps it engaged.  I changed back to plain-Jane 30W and it worked great.
 My logic is that as the subject OD heats up and the oil thins out, perhaps
the same dynamic is involved, and a change back not only is relatively easy,
but might solve the problem.  Of course, I am but a mortal with limited
vision and knowledge.

On my current GT I drained the 90W the DPO had in the tranny--REALLY stiff
shifts-- and put in the Redline MT-90, and that works very well, although at
first the OD was slow to disengage until it got up to operating temperature.

Jay Donoghue
72B
72B-GT
66 Mustang