Re: Overdrive woes

To: ATWEDITOR@aol.com
Subject: Re: Overdrive woes
From: Stuart MacMillan <macmillan@home.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 12:13:42 -0700
Hi folks,

I'm new to the list but have owned MGB's since 1969, and my '65 was that
first one and is still on the road.  I now have my son and daughter in
the fold with a '64 roadster and '72 GT respectively, both undergoing
restoration.  It is great to help spend someone else's money while
pursuing your hobby!

I've done several engine rebuilds and three tranny rebuilds over the
years (all OD types, both D and LH) and have used Red Line MTL for about
8 years in the D type.  I like the MTL over MT-90 because of easier
shifting, and the OD performs flawlessly in my climate (Seattle) at any
temperature.

I am in the process of rebuilding the tranny in the '65 (a '67 OD
version).  It has been in use since I last rebuilt it in 1971 and has
about 100,000 miles on it, about 50,000 of those on Red Line MTL.  I did
not rebuild the OD back then, but it now has a noisy bearing that
prompted the overhaul, but all was working fine otherwise.

Upon examining the gearbox, all components were in perfect condition,
with only the third gear synchro showing some wear on the engagement
shoulders and the usual wear on the layshaft, which was severe on the
first gear end.  I will be shortening the spacer in the laygear and
installing six caged needle bearings with the intent of salvaging the
laygear and also improving this well known weak component.

To sum up this long message, I wholeheartedly recommend Red Line MTL in
any MGB tranny, even the overdrives.  There is no reason not to take
advantage of the superior lubrication and longevity provided by modern
synthetic oils that are designed for transmissions.

Speaking of modern products, the same goes for the relatively new long
life coolants, Havoline Dexcool and Prestone Long Life, the orange
stuff.  Ethylene glycol based but with totally new corrosion inhibitor
chemistry.  But that is another subject. . . .

Looking forward to contributing to and learning from the list!
--
Stuart MacMillan
Seattle, currently MG-less, and summer is here!

'84 Vanagon Westy
'65 MGB  (getting new engine and rebuilt tranny over the Fourth of July
weekend)
'73 MGB GT (undergoing a slow restoration)
Plus restoration assistance on:
'64 MGB (son)
'72 MGB GT (daughter)
All have (or will have in the case of the '64) Overdrive transmissions.