Re: MGB Tonneau

To: "MGB" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MGB Tonneau
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 10:40:22 -0700
Hmmm, Dave, I don't know if we are all talking about the same thing...

The tonneau cover is the full length cockpit cover, extending from the
rear deck to the top of the dashboard. Yes, you are supposed to use the
bar with this, it keeps it from sagging onto the seat backs (if you don't
have headrests and headrest pockets). You can open just the driver's side
and tuck the flap down behind the seat over the bar; it is designed to do
this, and to fasten at the front of the battery shelf if the snaps have
been fitted. A properly fitted tonneau will be drum tight when snapped
down in this position; one of mine even has a snap on the excess portion
(the zipper flap) that snaps to the inside quarter panel in front of the
wheel bulge to seal off the outer edges as well as the bottom.

The small cover for just the folded top is sometimes called a "short
tonneau", but is more usually called a "top boot". I assume it also uses
the bar but I don't know, since I have a packaway top.

I can understand how owners of MGs with folding tops would not get into
the habit of using the bar, since it would get in the way of raising and
lowering the top, and have to be stowed in the cockpit (or equally
inconveniently in the trunk). For packaway top roadsters, it's a
no-brainer in my opinion, although I know at least one lister has a
prejudice against driving with the tonneau fitted at all (you know who
you are...)

; )

Max

Dave Wood had this to say: