Re: the passing of american mechanics

To: cessna@speakeasy.org, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: the passing of american mechanics
From: "Mike Barron" <jmikebarron@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2000 17:20:26 GMT
I am sure that many of us on the list know exactly how you feel.   When I
was growing up, there was a gas station on every corner, usually with a
repair bay or two where budding mechanics learned how to work on the cars of
the day.   If you had serious problems, there was always the dealer or the
bigger shops, but for the everyday stuff, this was great.

I am afraid that twenty or so years will see the reduction of classics and
antiques to the point that only the wealthy will be able to own them, I know
my girls and their husbands/boyfriends have no interest in owning one,
although they think the cars are pretty neat.   There was always a sense of
great power in being able to get a car fixed back then, now it's more like
going to the Drs. office, including the bill when it's all through.

They don't realize it, but they are going to miss the joy of driving one.
Maybe in twenty years, someone will have put the experience into a virtual
computer program, including getting caught in the rain, experiencing
ignition failure, and fixing a flat.......

Mike Barron
60 TR3
73 TR6