Re: the passing of american mechanics

To: WSpohn4@aol.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: the passing of american mechanics
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 10:11:57 EDT
In a message dated 7/4/00 3:32:54 PM Eastern Daylight Time, WSpohn4@aol.com
writes:

<< Sadly, the irony and sarcasm is often lost on them, clueless bunch that
they
 are. I sometimes wonder if the local homes for the terminally gormless use
 local car shows as outings for their charges.

 I even had one notable twit stare at the Pontiac badge on my Fiero at an all
 Pontiac show, and come up with the same tired old line. I told him Ferrari,
 and he just nodded and wandered away (hopefully into the path of something
 large and speedy, before he gets old enough to breed more mouthbreathing
 idjits like himself!). >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Bill, I am not trying to come down on you, but maybe a change in attitude
would help these seemingly helpless individuals.  Esp. the ones at car shows.
 They came to the car show, not only to see cars they know about, but maybe
to learn something new.  In my early years, I learned a lot at car shows,
just from talking to the owners and then reading up on the cars.  I'm sure I
came across as clueless to more than one person.  (Still do in some cases!)

If you (not just Bill, but all who are reading this) are showing your car, it
would be helpful to us all if you would take the time and explain everything
you can about your marque to the inquisitive.  Especially to children and
teens.  They are the future of our cars, so we need to get them interested.
(Most teens could probably afford an MG, but most American muscle cars are
now way too expensive.  That leaves them with rice boys, unless we show them
the way.)  If they knew that most LBCs are inexpensive to buy, easy to find
parts, and easy to work on, they could get interested.

In your defense, I get frustrated sometimes too.  And it would be nice to let
'em have it!  Just pick your target wisely!

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport