Re: OD Lube

To: WSpohn4@aol.com
Subject: Re: OD Lube
From: Stuart MacMillan <macmillan@home.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 14:15:24 -0700
Bill,

Interesting stuff, someday I am going to have to build up a racing MGB,
what the heck it is only time and money!

Thinking about how the OD works with the unidirectional clutch when
disengaged, you must be getting slippage of the clutch rollers, which I
guess could be happening with the Red Line. If the clutch is slipping
then the friction surface would slip along with it, causing wear. The
sliding member with its friction lining should just be along for the
ride, with all the power going through the locking clutch when the OD is
disengaged (except in reverse!).

My quest for longevity benefits from Red Line are primarily for the
transmission, I can't complain about the longevity of the OD in my case,
I am about to launch it on its third attempt at another 100,000 miles,
they are much tougher than the early gearboxes.  I just don't want to
cause any problems for it, and I am satisfied after my 50,000 mile (on
MTL, 200,000 miles total) inspection that with my driving style I am
not.

Good luck in your racing endeavors!
--
Stuart MacMillan