Re: Tach, fuel gauge, turn signals all periodically cut out

To: Keith Gernert <kgernert@triad.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Tach, fuel gauge, turn signals all periodically cut out
From: Geoffrey Gallaway <geoffeg@sloth.org>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 22:05:01 -0400 (EDT)
I too am currently having a similar problem on my 70 BGT. It started out
with the oil pressure gauge dropping to 0 (wow, that scared the crap out
of me). It then progressed to the tach flying around like crazy and the
mostly-useless amber light starting to flicker. It worsened to the engine
stuttering and trying to die. I fixed one problem that Steve at MG
Automotive in Dayton, Ohio found: the alternator connectors were lose and
falling out. That fixed most of it although it's now intermittent. I
suggest going over almost every wire connection and checking the plugs,
especially the alternator. Also, check the battery terminals and the
connectors.

That brings up another interesting question. I'm looking for a Smiths
vacuum gauge to install next to a amperage gauge and maybe a oil
temperature gauge. So, where do I put these gauges? I used to drive a 70
Land Rover that had a place meant for such things in the lower center
dash but I can think of no such place in my MG. Above the dash seems like
a bad idea, inside the dash probably wont work (I'm planning on converting
to a 72 dash) and I want to put a radio in later. Any ideas?

Geoffeg

--
Geoffrey Gallaway || Be wary when walking down the path to madness, all such
geoffeg@sloth.org || paths invariably lead to madness.