Re: Idle too high on HIF-4

To: "Steve Shoyer" <Steve@shoyer.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Idle too high on HIF-4
From: paul.hunt1@virgin.net
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 15:26:29 +0100
You have to loosen both throttle spindle clamps and both choke spindle
clamps, otherwise one idle screw can be operating the other carb, or the
throttle cable may be holding them open.  You do not tighten the screws
again until you have adjusted each carb for mixture and idle, then you check
air-flow again at about 1500 rpm to check they are balanced off-idle as well
as on idle.  Ditto choke.  If you alter one carb for mixture you must
recheck the other, since they are interdependant.  If you adjust the second
carb you must check the first again and so on.  You can't balance the
mixture properly with a Colortune, you have to use the lifting pin and ear
method.  Finally there must be some free play in the throttle cable to
ensure the throttle cams are resting on their idle screws and not hanging
off the cable, there should be a .012 clearance between each lever link pin
and the lower arm of its respective throttle lever fork, the book says.
When both carbs are properly balanced for both mixture and airflow you can
use a Colortune then, or a CO meter, but you must always adjust both carbs
by the same amount in the same direction or you will unbalance them again.

PaulH.