su carb problem

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: su carb problem
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 12:16:05 -0600
With some embarrassment, I must bring this topic up again. Several months
ago, someone wrote in to the list with a problem where their damper rod
loosens by itself on the su carb. I thought I had fixed this problem on my
67BGT (HS4 carbs) by replacing the damper rods and I dispensed that thought
on the list.

But I was wrong!

The damper rod was part of the problem. After I switched the damper rods
with my 71BGT, the problem did occur on the 71BGT. And when I replaced the
damper rods, it appeared to go away. But in reality, it is still there - it
still occurs on the rear carb of the 67BGT. It comes unscrewed about once a
month or so, which due to limited city driving, equates to 300-400 miles at
the most.

At this point, its just an annoyance. But I'm concerned on how it will do
when I take the car for an extended highway cruise.

I have disassembled the carbs once and cleaned them out. There is some wear
in the throttle shafts that I plan on getting fixed, maybe soon.

Is there some other part I should replace? Other theories or fixes? I'd
prefer to fix the problem rather than use some DPO fix like duct tape or
loctite.

David
67 BGT
71 BGT