Re: su carb problem

To: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Subject: Re: su carb problem
From: Jeff Fayne <fayne@attglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 14:38:49 -0500

David Councill wrote:

> At 02:17 PM 7/29/00 -0500, Jeff Fayne wrote:
>
> >Have you tried replacing the fibre washer that's under the cap? A new one may
> >allow some compression when tightened and will act as a lock washer,
> >preventing
> >the loosening you're experiencing. Failing that, you could try  a rubber
> >O-ring
> >instead of the washer. Not exactly stock, but it should provide more
> >compressibility than a fibre washer.
> >
> >Let us know if you find a solution..
> >
> >Jeff
> >'70MGB
>
> I tried replacing the fiber washer first, before I replaced the damper
> rods. It didn't help. Another problem too is that the new damper rods (I
> think I got them from Moss) had less threading than the older, probably
> original, damper rods. This would make the use of a thicker washer,
> including rubber, not possible.
>
> David
> 67 BGT
> 71 BGT

Ok, it's kludgy, but you could try some teflon tape (the stuff you use for
sealing
plumbing connections, try the yellow stuff it's impervious to petroleum based
fluids) on the threads. That would act as a thread locker. I don't know if I'd
use
Loctite, I'd be fearful if it breaking up and being ingested into the carb
(although you do have to be conservative on the Teflon tape as it too could
break
up and be ingested).

Jeff
'70MGB