Re: su carb problem

To: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Subject: Re: su carb problem
From: Jeff Fayne <fayne@attglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 14:17:33 -0500

David Councill wrote:

> With some embarrassment, I must bring this topic up again. Several months
> ago, someone wrote in to the list with a problem where their damper rod
> loosens by itself on the su carb. I thought I had fixed this problem on my
> 67BGT (HS4 carbs) by replacing the damper rods and I dispensed that thought
> on the list.
>
> But I was wrong!
>
> The damper rod was part of the problem. After I switched the damper rods
> with my 71BGT, the problem did occur on the 71BGT. And when I replaced the
> damper rods, it appeared to go away. But in reality, it is still there - it
> still occurs on the rear carb of the 67BGT. It comes unscrewed about once a
> month or so, which due to limited city driving, equates to 300-400 miles at
> the most.

Have you tried replacing the fibre washer that's under the cap? A new one may
allow some compression when tightened and will act as a lock washer, preventing
the loosening you're experiencing. Failing that, you could try  a rubber O-ring
instead of the washer. Not exactly stock, but it should provide more
compressibility than a fibre washer.

Let us know if you find a solution..

Jeff
'70MGB