Re: rear end shims/clunk

To: "MGs List" <mgs@autox.team.net>, <cessna@speakeasy.org>
Subject: Re: rear end shims/clunk
From: "Charles Sorkin" <cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 21:36:12 -0400
>hello again. I have some more questions on my differential. this is on a
'77
>mgb with steel wheels.
>
>I called a few english car shops around, and they all had a universal
>opinion that it would be cheaper for me to buy a good used differential
>instead.
>
>I was told that it was a spicer rear end, and that by the time they would
>get it out, 'measure stuff' , get the parts and put it back together. It
>could cost up to $800
>
>maybe the later differential is harder to work on than the earlier ones ?
>apparently no one will take/sell the gears seperately either from a good
>used one.
>
>there are places that will sell me a used rear that they proclaim as good
>for about $250.00, but I have to haul it here, and then bleed brakes mount
>it properly, etc.
>
>is it really such a big thing to do ?
>
>thanks Diane

Hello Diane:

There is very little that the weekend warrior / do-it-yourself types can do
with a differential, unless you have lots of specialized tools and guages.
I don't remember your previous posts... what is wrong with yours?

Those of you who rebuild them by yourselves: Check your factory manuals
before flaming me!

Regards,

Charles
'74 Midget