Re: rear end shims/clunk

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: rear end shims/clunk
From: "Diane S." <cessna@speakeasy.org>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 22:13:55 -0700
hello again. I have some more questions on my differential. this is on a '77
mgb with steel wheels.

I called a few english car shops around, and they all had a universal
opinion that it would be cheaper for me to buy a good used differential
instead.

I was told that it was a spicer rear end, and that by the time they would
get it out, 'measure stuff' , get the parts and put it back together. It
could cost up to $800

maybe the later differential is harder to work on than the earlier ones ?
apparently no one will take/sell the gears seperately either from a good
used one.

there are places that will sell me a used rear that they proclaim as good
for about $250.00, but I have to haul it here, and then bleed brakes mount
it properly, etc.

is it really such a big thing to do ?

thanks Diane